Saturday, January 26, 2013

Tha-Tha's Family

We went to Phimai and met Tha-Tha's family.  Phimai is the village where Tha-Tha and his brothers and sisters grew up.  There were 10 kids in all, 7 boys and 3 girls.  I have 5 uncles and 2 aunties still living and lots of cousins.
My great-grandparents ashes on both sides of us.

Ceremony to bless our family

When we got to Phimai, we went to the temple near our family's farm.  We had a little ceremony to pay respect to our ancestors.  We gave the monk gifts and he blessed our family.  We went and saw where my great-grandparents' ashes were placed.  I put flowers and incense near their ashes.

My Tha-Tha's father as a monk.


When Tha-Tha was in his first year of medical school, he became a monk for seven days.  In Thailand, parents are proud if their sons become a monk.  This temple is where Tha-Tha became a monk.  He had to meditate in the middle of the cemetery.  He stayed there night and day, and he said a prayer very loudly, so the Buddha would protect him from the bad spirits.


Next, we went to the ruins in Phimai.  It is called Prasat Hin Phimai.  It was a temple and is over 1,000 years old.  There were stone sculptures and buildings.  I found it interesting that the buildings are still standing.  My favorite part was running around in the grass.  In this park I also got my picture with a tamarind tree.  That's my middle name.




We went to the family farm.  I hung out with my Tha-Tha's family and saw the rice fields.  Then we had a dinner party at a restaurant.  My aunts and uncles sang songs and the kids played around.  I had a great time.  -Vanessa
My cousins and young aunties


Learn Thai:  "Alloy Mok Ka" It taste very good.

7 comments:

  1. What a special day you had with your family to remember and honor your great grandparents. The photo of all of you in front of the ruins is beautiful.
    -Lisa & Julia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Vanessa,I hope you are having a good time in Thailand. I like all the pictures you posted. In class we are doing polar bear
    adaptations and we are having fun doing that. Sorry the class has not ben able to do the blog with you. Hope you have a good day.

    Love, Lily & Mrs.Erdmann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lily and Mrs. Erdmann,

      I'm excited to come home. I have had a good trip. I have seen a lot of family that I have never met. I'll probably see you on Monday.

      Love,
      Vanessa

      Delete
  3. Hi Vanessa, We all miss you! i cant wait till you come back. And we are doing a polar bear project its really fun. I wish you were here to do it see you next week

    -Gwen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gwen,

      I can't wait to come back too. What kind of project is it? I'll see you Monday.

      Love,
      Vanessa

      Delete
  4. Hi Vanessa,
    I miss you a lot.The class does too.We cant wait until you come back.Does this mean that your aunt and uncles in the picture above your real aunt and uncles or your Thailand aunt and uncles?All of the things that you post are really cool.I hope that you are having as much as we are at school.So far, we have done a lot of fun projects. I think that Gavin's class misses him a lot too.Right now in Maine, it is 6:54 p.m. do you know what time it is in Thailand now?Remember, Tell me or Andrew if you see or get bitten by a scorpion.
    Your Friendly Classmate,
    :) Chrissy <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chrissy,

      My aunts in the pictures are my mom's 1st cousins because Tha-Tha's brother is their dad. My Tha-Tha's younger brother is 25 years younger. Thailand is 12 hours different from Maine. So if it is 6:54 p.m in Maine, it is 6:54 a.m. in Thailand. I will tell you if I get bit by a scorpion or cobra. I can't wait to you guys.

      Love,
      Vanessa

      Delete